Our clients are increasingly aware of the fact that Leadership Assessment will only obtain its optimal strength if there is a clear connection with Development. Only in this way effective performance of the leader can be achieved.
Quaestus Leadership Development & Coaching is a ROI-driven, strategic intervention to ensure that people accomplish meaningful outcomes.
The Quaestus Leadership Development & Coaching approach offers a “Blended Leader Growth Experience”, which supports leaders and their teams to develop their strategy and vision, help them realise this strategy and the personal/professional growth and development of their employees. This occurs in a manner which directly impacts the financial performance of the organisation in a positive way. Reasons to deploy Quaestus Leadership Development & Coaching include:
Performance & Alignment
- Ineffective team performance;
- Decreasing productivity and financial performance;
- Decreasing commitment of leaders;
- Mismatch between the leadership requirement and the strategic choices of the organisation.
- Ineffective succession management;
- Insufficiently available leadership potential;
- Insufficiently effective internal succession;
- Problematic DMS (Director/Major Shareholder) succession (Onboarding).
- Retreat of strategic senior executives;
- Loss of high potentials.
Quaestus Individual Leadership Development & Coaching
The Quaestus Leadership Coaching approach is based on three important principles:
- Coaching always takes place within the context of the organisation;
- Coaching is based on measurable targets, which must be linked to the results of the organisation;
- Coaching by Quaestus is conducted by qualified coaches.
The managerial role of a leader brings with it a great risk of inconsistency. Commercial direction, personal attention, distance and closeness can all be elements that occur at once. All of them dilemma’s which deserve attention within leadership development programs. As a role model a leader should be thrustworth by being consistent, authentic and actually living up to the standards they set themselves.
What is obvious to one person, may not always be so obvious to others. In connection to influencing others, many managers mainly focus on content and processes and they have less attention for the emotional aspects of the interaction.
Quaestus Group Leadership Development & Coaching
Quaestus’ leadership philosophy is based on the principles of “Secure Base” Leadership. “Secure Base” Leaders establish connections and trust; they combine a clear direction with creating an effectively structured organisation whilst connecting with their employees. By becoming a “Secure Base” Leader, you unleash enormous levels of potential, which leads to increased productivity, morale and results.
In regard to learning methods, our approach is consistent with the model developed by the “Center for Creative Leadership”: ”Creating Awareness” (Assessment), “Challenge” and “Support”. Learning occurs in three stages:
- Awareness: focus on reflections on personal leadership and mapping of present leadership competencies and the desired leadership competencies. In addition, analysis of the development requirements and the learning personality/learning style of the individual. The central questions are: what type of person are you?, what are your “personal values?” and what is your “dark side?”, how do you come across in your work environment?
- Challenge: practising and experimenting with new behaviour, linked to the ‘Learning Options’ within the organisation with the daily work activities being used as a learning platform. In this part, participants are being challenged to step out of their comfort zone and experiment with new behaviour. The approach used by Quaestus is called ‘Learning Peer Groups’: groups of 4 to 6 persons working actively on personal development. The ‘Learning Peer Group’ approach enables participants to:
- get to know each other better, which lowers the threshold for networking; essential for further career development;
- give each other feedback, which requires interpersonal (leadership) skills;
- discuss work-related topics among colleagues, learn from ‘on the job’ activities;
- use colleagues as partners during this process in order to learn, this results in a high level of involvement and encourages discussion.
- Support: support in practice, especially by the “boss”, involves affirmation and recognition of the newly learned behaviour. In this part, the learned matter is embedded into daily practice. Describing the precise content is difficult as this varies significantly between individuals. For some people this means an individual coaching program, for others an external learning program, and for all, the Learning Peer Groups (intervision). It is important to safeguard each initiative in the applicable performance management policy. This part is optional. For example, it could involve a 360 degree round of feedback after approximately one year, followed by an intervision meeting in which the results are discussed.
Quaestus CEO Succession & Onboarding
After placement, candidates are often left more or less left to fend for themselves, and can get lost in the dynamics of the political arena. Being successful in a new position involves more than a “sink or swim” strategy whereby newly appointed leaders must try to identify the existing values and norms within their new organisation.
Quaestus believes that this can be improved upon. Quaestus offers a “Blended Leader Growth Experience” whereby leaders are guided in the process of familiarisation with the organisation in a systematic manner. This “learning process” consists of the following steps:
- Self Analysis & Plan: based on selection, an Onboarding plan is devised together with the candidate, based on the insights that s/he has obtained through the selection program. This has an immediate effect on the self-confidence of the leader and influences their chances of success.
- Role Definition: in this important phase, the role of the new leader must be made clear, both for the leader and the key stakeholders: what can and cannot be expected of one another? Performance suffers if there is ambiguity and/or a lack of clarity. A USA/UK study reported losses of $ 37 billion annually in regard to role ambiguity in organisations.
- Social Integration & Communication: 60 % of failing managers attribute this to insufficiently creating relationships with the main players in the organisation. It is important to support leaders in learning to communicate in the right manner. Many leaders communicate primarily at content level and not enough at the interpersonal level.
- Stakeholders & Culture: It is essential to obtain a clear understanding of the dynamics in the new environment. The incorrect interpretation of the political force field within the organisation will inevitably lead to failure.
Leaders placed by Quaestus are supported by an intensive Onboarding program in which a mix of techniques is offered: coaching, mentorship, peer-learning, behaviour modelling, one-on-one training, all elements specifically tailored to the individual leader’s requirements. This increases the chance of success.
Quaestus DMS Succession & Onboarding in the family business
Finding a suitable successor is a complex process, in which ratio and emotion can be conflicting factors. Quaestus possesses extensive experience in the recruitment, selection and placement of successors. We are familiar with the dynamics of family businesses and we know like no other that selecting a suitable successor requires thorough analysis of both business and emotional considerations. Experience has shown that a good Coaching and Onboarding program increases the chance of success. This means that both the new CEO and the DMS can be coached by our specialists during the first year, to provide the optimal chance for success. As a result, the owner of the company will be able to take a step back, resting assured that the company is in good hands.
Board Room Dynamics & Top Team Effectiveness
The dynamics within Top Teams and Board Rooms cannot be compared to the dynamics at other levels in the organisation. Whilst at the lower organisational level it is about what you know and what you can do, in the political arena of the Top Team and/or the Board Room it is mainly about who you know and what these people can do. These forces are of a totally different order compared to those at the lower level. Quaestus knows these dynamics, and assists organisations to achieve greater Top Team Effectiveness. Through one-on-one interventions, workshops and team observations, we help top teams to improve their mutual relationships and team effectiveness. In this regard, Quaestus follows a clear intervention process:
- Awareness: during an intensive dialogue with the company’s Top Team we identify the unique fundamental needs of the senior executives and the team members regarding the leadership requirements for future success;
- Alignment: in consultation with the organisation, creating the management model and the Key Result Areas of the Top Team, based on the objectives of the organisation and its mission, vision, values and strategic choices;
- Challenge: within a number of individual and team meetings we address a mindset shift and the related leadership behaviour, which makes it possible to overcome barriers and to develop new effective behaviour. The emphasis is placed on more decisiveness and cooperation;
- Lasting change: through creating best-in-class internal processes, we build on a lasting behavioural change within the organisation and the top team;
- Impact: through frequent team meetings we keep in touch and connected, in order to achieve a high ROI.